2014년 8월 29일 금요일

자주 사용하는 우리말에 대한 영어의 유용한 표현 2


51. 이만 가 봐야 될 것 같아요.
  I must be going[leaving] now.
  I have to leave now.
  I must be on my way.
  I must be off now.
  I must say good-bye now.
  It's time to say good-bye.
  I'm afraid I must be going now.

 52. 부탁 하나 드려도 될까요?
  I have a favor to ask (of) you.
  May I ask you a favor?
  May I ask a favor of you?
  Would you do me a favor?
  Would you do a favor for me?
  Can I ask you to do something for me?

 53. 분수에 맞는 생활을 해라.
  You must live within your means[income].
  You mustn't live beyond your means.
  Cut your coat according to your cloth.
  Don't bite off more than you can chew.
  You can't keep up with the Joneses.
  Stay within your limits[budget].

 54. 시계가 고장났어요.
  My watch doesn't work.
  My watch is out of order.
  My watch is[got] broken.
  Something is wrong with my watch.
  My watch stopped.
 
55. 말조심해라. 언행을 조심해라.
  Watch your language[tongue, mouth].
  Watch what you're saying.
  Be careful what you say.
  Mind your manners. 
  Mind your p's and q's.

 56. 나는 해고당했다.
  I got my walking papers.
  I got the ax.
  I got sacked.
  I got booted out.
  I got a pink slip.
  I got[was] fired.

 57. 왜 그렇게 시무룩하냐?/ 왜 그렇게 우울한 표정을 짓고 있느냐?
  Why so blue?
  Why so down?
  Why the[a] long face?
  Why (do you have) such a long face?  
  What are you sulking about?

 58. 자업자득이지.
  (It) Serves her right.
  She asked for it.
  She had it coming (to her).
  She got her deserts.
  She deserves it.

 59. 용기를 내라. 기운을 내라.
  Snap out of it!
  Keep your chin up!
  Cheer up!
  Be of good cheer!
  Perk up!
 
60. 이렇게 만나다니 뜻밖이네요. /  여기서 당신을 만날 줄이야!
  What a nice surprise!
  What a pleasant surprise!
  This is a pleasant surprise.
  Surprising running into you!
  Fancy meeting you here!
  Imagine meeting you here!   
  I'm surprised to see you here.
  I didn't expect to see you here.
  Look who's here.
  Well, well, if it isn't Jane!

61. 그녀는 임신 중이다.
  She is expecting.
  She is pregnant.
  She is going to have a baby.
  She is heavy with a baby.
  She has a visit from the stork.
  She is eating for two (now).

 62. 출산 예정일이 언제냐?
  When is the blessed event?
  When is she expecting?
  When is her baby due?

 63. 아직은 미정입니다. 아직 결정되지 않았습니다.
  It's up in the air.
  It's up for grabs.
  It is undecided.

 64. 교통이 혼잡했다. 교통 체증에 발이 묶였어.
  I was caught in a traffic jam.
  There was a traffic jam.
  Traffic was heavy.
  There was (traffic) congestion.
  Traffic was bumper to bumper.
  Traffic was at a standstill.
  Traffic was backed up.
  Traffic was at a crawl.
  Traffic slowed down to a snail's pace.

 cf. 교통이 아주 한산했어.
   Traffic was very light.
   The roads were clear.

 65. 그것 참 안됐군요.
  That's too bad.
  (I'm) Sorry to hear that.
  That's a shame[a pity].
  What a shame[a pity]!

 66. 오래간만이야!
  Long time no see.
  It's been a long time.
  I haven't seen you for a long time.
  I haven't seen you for ages.
  It's been so long since we met.
  You're quite a stranger.
 
67. 난 너무 바빠.
  I'm up to my ears in work.
  My hands are full.
  My hands are (all) tied up.
  I'm tied up right now.
  I'm behind in my work.
  I'm snowed under with work. 
  I've got a lot of work to do.
 
68. 행운을 빈다.
  Good luck (to you).
  I wish you good luck.
  I wish you the best of luck.
  I'll keep[have] my fingers crossed (for you).
  Break a leg!

 69. 하마터면 큰일날 뻔했군요. 아슬아슬했다.
  That was close.
  That was a close call.
  That was a near miss.
  That was a narrow escape.
  That was a close shave.
  That was a near go.

 70. 당신이 참견할 일이 아니다.
  This is none of your business.
  This is no business[concern] of yours.
  Mind your own business.
  None of your funeral.
 You have nothing to do with this.
 You'd better keep your nose nice and clean.
  Keep your nose out of this.
 Stay out of this.
  Butt out!
  Stop butting in!

71. 엎어지면 코 닿을 곳이야.
  It's just walking distance.
  It's right around the corner.
  It's just spitting distance.
  It's just a few blocks away.
  It's just a stone's throw away. 

 72. 간밤에 한숨도 못 잤어.
  I didn't sleep a wink last night.
  I didn't get a wink of sleep last night.
  I tossed and turned all night.
  I was all over the bed.
  I didn't get any sleep[shut-eye].
 
73. 아주 푸욱 잘 잤다.
  I had a sound sleep.
  I slept soundly.
  I slept like a log[a baby, a rock, the dead].

 74. 인생이란 다 그런 거야.
  That's life.
  Such is life. 
  That's the way it goes.
  That's the way it is. 
  That's the way the ball bounces.
  That's the way the cookie crumbles.
  That's the way the mop flops.

 75. 나는 음치야.
  I'm tone-deaf.
  I can't sing.
  I cannot carry a tune.
  I have a terrible voice.

76. 저리 가! 꺼져!
  Take a walk!
  Get lost!
  Get out of here!
  Beat it!
  Go away!
  Buzz off! 
  Leave me alone, please.
 
 77. 그는 그런 짓을 할만큼 어리석지는 않다.
  He knows better than to do such a thing.
  He is not so foolish as to do such a thing.
  He has more sense than to do such a thing.
  Such is his wisdom that he will not do such a thing.
  He is above doing such a thing.
  He is the last man to do such a thing.
  He is far from doing such a thing.

 78. 참 싸게 샀군요.
  That's a steal. 
  It's a bargain.
  It's a good deal.
  That's a real good buy.
  That's very cheap.

 79. 너무 비싼데요.
  That's much too expensive.
  Too steep.
  The price is out of line.
  That's totally unreasonable.
  That's exorbitant.
  This is highway robbery.
 
80. 에누리 좀 안됩니까?
  Can you come down a little?
  Can you lower your price?
  Can you give me a discount?

81. 돈으로 환불하여 주시기 바랍니다.
  I would like to get a refund on this.
  Can I get a refund on this?
  I'd like a refund. 
  I'd like my money back. 
  Can I have my money back on this?
 
 82. 그게 별거냐! 그래서 어떻다는 말이냐?
  Big deal!(=Don't make a big deal out of it.)
  So what?
  It's just one  of those things. 

 83. 내가 오늘 제정신이 아니야.
  I'm not myself today.
  I must be out of my mind today.
  I'm not in my right mind today.

 <cf> 정신 나갔어?
  Are you out of your mind?
  Are you crazy or something?
  Are you nuts?
  Are you off your rocker?
  You have a screw loose or something?
  You have a screw missing?

 84. 어떤 식으로 긴장을 푸십니까? / 여가를 어떻게 보내세요?
  What do you do for relaxation?
  What do you do to relax?
  What do you do to relieve stress?
  What do you do to unwind?
  How do you spend your leisure time?
  What do you do in your spare time?

 85. 그는 말썽꾸러기다. 골칫거리다.
  He's a nuisance.
  He's a pest.
  He's a pain in the neck.
  He's a thorn in my side.

86. 정말 잘 어울려요.
  It's really you.
  It suits you very well[perfectly].
  You look nice in it.
  It looks really good[great] on you.
  It really becomes you.

 87. 미치겠다.
  I'm going crazy!
  I'm going nuts!
  I'm going bananas!
  It drives me crazy[mad, nuts, bananas]!
  It drives me up the wall!

 88. 이 자리가 비어 있습니까?
  Is this seat taken?
  Is this seat occupied?
  Is this seat being used?
  Are you using this seat?
  Is this seat vacant[empty]?
  Has anybody taken this seat?

 89. 돈 꽤나 들 겁니다.
  돈이 엄청나게 많이 들 겁니다.
  It will cost you a pretty penny.
  It will cost you a bundle.
  It will cost you a lot of money.
  It will cost you a fortune.
  It will cost you a mint.
  It will cost you an arm and a leg.

 90. 마침 그 물건이 떨어졌군요.
  They are all sold out.
  We are temporarily out of that item.
  We are temporarily out of stock on that item.

91. 당신 수표가 부도났다.
  Your check returned.
  Your check bounced.
  You gave me a bad check.

 92. 왜 이렇게 늦었어?
  What took you so long?
  What kept you so long?
  What held you up so long?
  What made you so late?

 93. 빨리 와.
  Don't be long.
  Be right back.
  Hurry[Rush] back.

 94. 아무에게도 말하지마. 비밀을 누설하지 말라.
  Let's keep this between ourselves.
  Let's keep this between you and me.
  Don't spill the beans to anyone.
  Don't let the cat out of the bag.
  Don't let the rat out.
  Don't tell anyone.

 95. 말을 빙빙 돌리지 말아요.
  Don't beat around the bush.
  Get to the point.
  Give me the bottom line.
  Give it to me straight.
  Don't give me the runaround.

96. 지금 당장은 잘 모르겠다.
  I can't tell offhand.
  Not offhand.
  Not off the top of my head.

 97. 성가시게 그러실 것까진 없다.
  Don't bother.
  Don't go to any trouble.
  You don't have to go to any trouble.

 98. 어디서 한 번 뵌 듯 합니다.
  You look familiar.
  Haven't we met somewhere before?
  Don't I know you?

 99. 건배!
  Cheers!
  Bottoms up!
  (Here's) To our health!
  Let's drink to that!
  I'd like to make[have] a toast.
  May I propose a toast?

 100. 다음 기회로 미룰 수 없을까요?
  Can I take a rain check?
  Can I have a rain check on that?
  Can you give me a rain check on that?
  Let's make it some other time.
  I'll make it another time.

 101. 여긴 웬 일이세요?
  What brings you here?
  What brought you here?
  What are you doing here?
  What made you come here?

 102. 잔돈 좀 바꿔 줄 수 있느냐?
  Can you change this?
  Can you break this?
  Can I have change for this?

 103. 점심 식사 후에 야구 하는 게 어때?
  How about playing baseball after lunch?
  What about playing baseball after lunch?
  What do you say to playing baseball after lunch?
  What do you think about playing baseball after lunch?
  Why don't we play baseball after lunch?
  Let's play baseball after lunch, shall we?

 104. 더 드시겠습니까?
  Would you like a refill?
  Would you care for seconds?
  Would you like some more?
  Would you like another drink?

 105. 주머니 사정이 안 좋아.
  I've been a little short lately.
  I'm (dead) broke.
  I've been in the red lately.
  I've been in the hole lately.
  I can hardly keep my head above water.
  I can hardly make ends meet.
  I can't make ends meet.

 106. 상관없어요.
  It doesn't make any difference.
  It makes no difference.
  What difference does it make?
  It doesn't matter.
  It's all the same.
  I have no preference. 
  It is not important.
  I don't care.

 107. 좋으실 대로 하세요.
  Suit yourself.
  It's up to you.
  Whatever you say.
  Do as you like.

cf. 네 맘대로 해라.
  Have it your way.
  So be it.

 108. 시간 좀 지켜라.
  Don't be late.
  Don't be tardy.
  Be prompt.
  Be punctual.
  Try to be on time.

 109. 그냥 구경하고 있어요.
  I'm just looking (around).
  I'm just browsing.
  I'm just window-shopping.

 110. 문이 왜 잘 열리지 않니?
  What's the matter with the door?
  What's wrong with the door?
  What's the trouble with the door?
  What's the problem with the door?

http://kr.blog.yahoo.com/hanlim_104/1530021.html?p=1&pm=l&tc=69&tt=1220308240

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기